The Genetics Laboratory is a UKAS accredited medical laboratory No 8688. Our laboratory, has an international reputation for applying innovative technologies to advance patient care.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
With our laboratory forming part of the regional Genetics Centre, we are deeply rooted in a collaborative, expert network of regional, national and international genetics services. We also offer specialist tests to the UK through the UK Genetics Testing Network (UKGTN), and to many clinical services overseas.
London South Genomic Laboratory Hub (GLH)
The Synnovis Genetics Laboratory is the hub of the London South Genomics Laboratory network.
NHS England indicated test reporting times
NHS England (NHSE) have indicated the following test reporting times (Table 1) to accompany the Genetics Test Directory for use in England.
However the laboratory is currently reporting accordng to the previously accepted Association for Clinical Genomic Science;
- Prenatal testing by microarray or karyotype analysis - 14 days
- Urgent testing by microarray or karyotype analysis - 14 days
- Routine testing by microarray - 42 days
- Routine testing postnatal karyotype analysis - 42 days
- Y-del – 42 days
- Urgent testing for known variant(s) including predictive tests - 14 calendar days
- Urgent BRCA panel analysis - 21 days
- Routine testing for known mutations - 42 days
- Routine complex rare disease testing aligned to Test Directory – 84 days
The Genetics Centre:
- Delivers an integrated service consisting of Guy's and St Thomas' Clinical Genetics department (where clinical advice can be obtained, telephone 020 71881364 or refer to the Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital website) and Synnovis Genetics Laboratory (Molecular Genetics, Cytogenetics, Biochemical Genetics, Oncology Cytogenetics, Molecular Oncology Unit and Pre-implantation Genetics Diagnosis.
- Serves an estimated population of 3.8 million in the South East Thames area.
- Works with the South East England Genetics Network (SEEGen), a consortium of laboratories and genetic clinics serving a population of 14.2 million.
- Is affiliated to the Division of Medical and Molecular Genetics at King's College London.
Our comprehensive range of genetic assays includes tests for inherited and congenital disorders; acquired and inherited cancers; chromosome instability syndromes; and pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.
Only WES, performed in the Molecular Genetics Lab, and PGD for haplotype approach using STR microsatellite markers is covered by the flexible scope. Accredited results cannot be issued until the validation and authorisation of new tests has been completed.
As affiliates of the Division of Medical and Molecular Genetics at King's College London, we are committed not only to genetic research and academic excellence, but to teaching the medical students, nurses and midwives of Guy's, King's and St Thomas', and to the ongoing education of other medical professionals.
Current Mailboxes for Genetics Teams
Please see below for a list of the current email addresses for the specific Genetics Teams at Guy's Hospital: